Turkey - Xanthos-Letoon

"This site, which was the capital of Lycia, illustrates the blending of Lycian traditions and Hellenic influence, especially in its funerary art. The epigraphic inscriptions are crucial for our understanding of the history of the Lycian people and their Indo-European language." 

Source: UNESCO World Heritage

Postcard 1 - Xanthos
Xanthos is an ancient Lycian city. Xanthos is the name of the River God who attempted to drown Achilles. Postmarked April 5, 2011 and arrived in Penang on April 12, 2011. Thanks to Pinar of Turkey.






Postcard 2 - Letoon
Religous sanctuary in Leeton to worship Leto, loved by Zeus and mother of Apollo or Artemis. Thanks to Pinar of Turkey.



1 comment:

  1. As I was building up my UNESCO tentative spreadsheet, I felt like checking this card and here is what I found. Other than Xanthos, you can see three UNESCO tentative sites on this card: 1.Myra (Ancient Cities of Lycian Civilization) 2. Perge (Archaeological Site of Perge) 3. Efes (Ephesus).
    I wish I could find more of this card. You lucky one :)

    ReplyDelete